The European legislation and standards for protection against arc energy are still in their infancy and will continue to change over the next few years.
The following standards are currently in place;
All of these standards provide guidance on clothing or systems capable of providing protection against electric arc.
- ENV 50354 Class system for testing fabrics or clothing for protction against electric arc
- IEC 298 Specifications for Arc Resistant Switchgear
- IEC 61482 Protective clothing against the thermal hazards of an electric arc (ATPV)
- IEC 62771 for construction of AC Metal Clad Switchgear above 1kV
- EN 166 Personal eye protection - specifications
Although not applicable in this country the NFPA70E standard provides a wealth of information on protecting against electric arc and can easily be downloaded from the Ansi Webstore.